National Gazetteer, 1868
Dunlop - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DUNLOP, a parish in the districts of Cunninghame and Renfrew, upper ward, in the counties of Ayr and Renfrew, Scotland, 7 miles N. of Kilmarnock. It is celebrated for its cheese, first made by Margaret Gilmour at the beginning of the last century. It is in the presbytery of Irvine, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The stipend of the minister is £215. The living is in the patronage of the Earl of Eglinton. The church contains a monument to Hans Hamilton, once minister, and father of the first Earl Clanbrassil (now Lord Roden). There is also a Free church, an endowed and other schools. It was formerly a possession of the monks of Kilwinning. The parish is traversed by the road between Kilmarnock and Paisley, and is a short distance from the Glasgow and South-Western railway. A fair is held on the 12th November."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003