National Gazetteer, 1868
Kilbirnie - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILBIRNIE, a parish and post town in the district of Cunninghame, county Ayr, Scotland. The parish is 6 miles long by 5 broad, and is bounded by county Renfrew, and the parishes of Beith, Dalry, and Largs.' The Garnock Water runs through the interior, and the Routen burn drains the N.E. Kilbirnie Loch is a large sheet of water abounding with fish. The Hill of Staik rises 1,691 feet above sea-level. There is a very large proportion of pasture land. This parish is in the presbytery of Irvine and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The minister has a stipend of £193. The church is an old building, and has been repaired at various times. It contains some curious oak carving. There are Free and Presbyterian churches and schools, and a Society school at Glengarnock. The ancient church was dedicated to St. Birnie, and belonged to the monastery of Kilwinning. The present parish comprehends the three ancient baronies of Kilbirnie, Glengarnock, and Ladyland. The mansion at Ladyland superseded the ancient residence, which was pulled down in 1815. The town is situated on the right bank of the Garnock, 9 miles N. of Irvine, and 13 from Paisley. It is a station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway. It consists principally of one street, containing many new and neat-built houses, and is lighted with gas. Two large flax and one linen thread mill employ a considerable number of the inhabitants. The Glengarnock iron-works are very extensive, as are also those of Kilbirnie. There are two branch banks. Glengarnock Castle, now a ruin, is supposed to have been the soot of the De Morville family in the time of Alexander I. Here are also the ruins of Kilbirnie Ballina, Castle, once the seat of the Crawfords, viscounts of Garnock. It was destroyed by fire together with an adjoining mansion, about a century and a half ago. Limestone and paving stone are quarried. A fair is hold in the town in May."
"LADYLANDS, a village in the parish of Kilbirnie, county Ayr, Scotland, 9 miles N. of Irvine. It is a station on the Stirling and Ballock section of the Forth and Clyde railway. The principal residence is Ladylands House, the ancient seat of the Cochranes."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003