National Gazetteer, 1868
Old Cumnock - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"OLD CUMNOCK, a parish in the district of Kyle, in the county of Ayr, Scotland, 62 miles from Edinburgh, and 49½ from Glasgow by the Glasgow and South-Western railway, which has a station here. It is situated on Lugar Water, near Aird's Moss. The parish is 10 miles long by 2 broad, and contains the town of Cumnock, noted for the manufacture of plane-tree snuff-boxes. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in working stone, lime, coal, and lead, which are found in great abundance. The Marquis of Bute takes the title of baron from Terrenzean Castle, a fine ruin in this parish. At Borland, a seat of the Hamilton family, are the ruins of the old church. Plans have been prepared for a new parish church, to be built on the old site, by Maitland Wardrop, Esq., of Edinburgh. The parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and in the patronage of the Marquis of Bute. The minister's stipend is £218. Fairs for the sale of horses, cattle, pigs, &c., are held weekly during the months of January, February, November, and December; and monthly in March, June, July, and October."
"CUMNOCK, a town in the parish of Old Cumnock, in the county of Ayr, Scotland. It stands at the junction of Glasnock Water with the Lugar, 16 miles E. of Ayr, and is situated in a hollow. The viaduct of the Glasgow and South-Western railway, which crosses the Lugar a quarter of a mile above the town, presents a very magnificent and romantic appearance. It is 170 feet in height, and has 14 arches, 9 of which have a span of 50 feet. Plans have been prepared for a new church to be erected in the town. -Various branches of industry give employment to the inhabitants, among which may be mentioned iron-works, weaving, the making of threshing machines; a pottery, at which a brown ware of superior quality is made; and wooden snuff and other boxes and articles, which last have rendered the name of Cumnock famous, from their delicate construction and elegant finish. This trade in wooden articles was, however, so profitable that it has left the town. Twenty-five years ago a solid foot of wood, value 3s., could be manufactured into boxes worth £100. This town was made a burgh of barony in 1509 by James IV. Sheriff's courts are held in it four times a year, and petty sessions for eight parishes. Fairs for various purposes are held in the months of January, February, March, June, July, October, November, and December."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003