National Gazetteer, 1868
Riccarton - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"RICCARTON, a parish in the district of Kyle, county Ayr, Scotland. It contains the village of its own name, also the villages of Hurlford and Sornhill. It extends about 8 miles in length from W. to E., with a breadth of about 2 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Kilmarnock, Galston, Craigie, Symington, and Dundonald. The surface is moderately flat, the highest elevation being attained towards the S. and E., when it gently swells into a ridge of hills, rising above 550 feet above sea-level. The scenery includes the banks of the Cessnock. An extensive prospect toward the N. and W. is obtained from the elevated grounds. The soil is chiefly of a clayey nature. There are brick and tile kilns. The coal measures are very productive, and limestone is worked to a great extent. Weaving and cotton printing are carried on. The parish is traversed by three roads forking southward, and by the Glasgow and South Western railway, which has a station at Hurlford. This parish is in the presbytery of Ayr, and synod of Ayr and Glasgow. The stipend of the minister is £277. The church, erected in 1823, is situated on an eminence. There are also a preaching station, an adventure school, a private school for girls, and an endowed Church of Scotland school situated at Hurlford. In this parish was the residence of the venerable Sir Ronald Crawford, the maternal uncle of Wallace, who frequently retired here after performing many of his daring exploits before he openly unfurled his country's banner. The town of Riccarton is about a mile S. of Kilmarnock, and is partly included within the parliamentary limits of that borough. It is situated on the rivers Irvine and Cessnock, and was made a burgh of barony in 1638. It formed part of Craigie till 1648, and was designated Richardstown, after Wallace's brother Richard, who had a seat at Yardsides. It consists mainly of one long street almost connecting it with the town of Kilmarnock, of which it may be considered a suburb. The principal seats are Caprington Castle, Treesbank, Shawhill, Dollars, Bellfield, and Milrig."
"HURLFORD, a post-office village in the parish of Riccarton, county Ayr, Scotland, not far from Kilmarnock. It is a station on the Glasgow and Ayr railway, and is chiefly inhabited by colliers."
"SORNHILL, a village in the parish of Riccarton, county Ayr, Scotland, 6 miles from Riccarton."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003