"Troon, seaport town and quoad sacra par., Dundonald par., Ayrshire, 6½ miles N. of Ayr by rail - quoad sacra par., pop. 2587; town, pop. 2383; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; is a favourite watering-place, and has fine sands and a golfing ground. Shipbuilding is carried on."
John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles In 1887.
"Troon boasts five golf courses. The three municipally controlled courses are Darley, Lochgreen and Fullarton, where charges range from 1s. 3d. to 2s. per round (Sundays, 3s.), 2s. to 3s. 6d. per day (Sundays, 5s.), etc."
From a 1920s guide to Ayrshire.
The Troon & Ayrshire FHS have also published the Dundonald Burial Register and booklets of Dundonald and Crosbie (Troon) monumental inscriptions.
Troon Old Parish Church (link currently unavailable), on Ayr Street, was not built until 1894.
Other churches in Troon include:
- St Meddan's Church, on St Meddan's Road, which was built in 1888.
- The Portland Church built in 1914.
- Our Lady of the Assumption built in 1911.
Troon is now most famous for its associations with golf and the town hosted the British Open Tournament in 1997. However, Troon owes its origins to coal and the railways. In 1812, the Duke of Portland, who had acquired much of the coal-bearing land around Kilmarnock, opened a railway from the mines to Troon, where he had earlier commissioned the creation of a harbour. Troon Harbour was built from a rocky headland which provides shelter from westerly on-shore storms. Troon was one of several Ayrshire ports developed for the export of coal, mainly to Ireland. By the 1830s, 50,000 tons were being exported annually through Ayr's ports. A hundred years later, over 3,000,000 tons were being handled by all Ayrshire ports. The 1940s began a decline in coal production, which was briefly interrupted in the early 1970s, before ceasing altogether.
Troon Harbour has always been home of a few fishing boats and other vessels, but has become a popular leisure cruising centre with its own marina. The Ayrshire Fish Market moved from Ayr to Troon in 1996.
The town of Troon was laid out in a conventional grid pattern, curved to fit the headland. This replacing the few fisherman's huts which had previously existed as Troon village. Housing also developed along the South Beach Road, where better villas were built. The hinterland of the town has some substantial houses, built for the Fullarton family, for the Duke of Portland and other business men.
Charles Kerr Marr was a native of Troon. He died in 1919 his wife having died childless in 1892. They are interred in Cathcart Cemetery, Glasgow. Mr Marr's considerable fortune which was made in the coal industry, was left for the benefit of the townspeople of Troon as the C.K. Marr Educational Trust.
To the north of the town lies Barassie (sometimes known as New Kilmarnock), originally a small settlement of weekend houses built on the coast for Kilmarnock merchants. The 1911 scheme to develop it as Garden Village was curtailed by the First World War. Development restarted in the inter-war years with the addition of many bungalows. from the 1970s, Barassie has developed into a substantial suburb.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Troon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Troon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS325308 (Lat/Lon: 55.542071, -4.656201), Troon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)