"Machar, New, par. and ry. sta., Aberdeenshire and detached part of Banffshire, 9002 ac., pop. 1505; the sta. is 11½ miles NW. of Aberdeen; at New Machar Inn, near the station, horse and cattle fairs are held."
Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
The parish of New Machar is nowadays reckoned as belonging to Aberdeenshire, and the main article about it will therefore be found among the GENUKI Aberdeenshire pages. However, before the major re-alignment of parish and county boundaries which came into effect on 1st May 1891, the parish belonged in part to Banffshire. The remaining articles on this page give details.
Until 1st May 1891, the estate of Straloch belonged to Banffshire. On that date, it was transferred to Aberdeenshire, as part of a complicated exchange of territory, involving also the estate of Torryleith, which was transferred from the parish of Udny to the parish of New Machar. While there are archival consequences for the inhabitants of Torryleith, there are no genealogical implications for Straloch. OPRs, the civil Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages, and the Census treat New Machar (including Straloch) as if it had always belonged exclusively to Aberdeenshire. And the Minister, writing for the "New Statistical Account" in 1842 states: " ... the lands of Straloch are now rated and politically attached to the County of Aberdeen".