"COLDSTREAM, a parish, containing a post and market town of the same name, on the southern border of Berwickshire. It is bounded on the east and south by the river Tweed, which divides it from England; and on other sides by the parishes of Eccles, Swinton, and Ladykirk ... The ancient name of the parish was Lennel or Leinhall; and the ruins of Lennel church stand on the north bank of the Tweed, 1½ mile distant from Coldstream. Eastward from this church, there was formerly a vilage called Lennel, which was so entirely destroyed in the Border wars, that the site of it is not now known. According to Chalmers, the parish of Leinhall appears in charters as early as the year 1147 ... In 1716 a new parish-church was built at the village of Coldstream, and the designation of the parish was afterwards taken from the kirk-town." From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.