Cumbraes, Church of Scotland
Church of Scotland,
Cumbrae Parish Church,
Isle of Cumbrae,
Cumbrae Parish Church, Millport
Cumbrae Parish Church was rebuilt in 1837 and is the oldest church in the locality. It is said to be a direct descendant of a 5th century church, built here by St Ninian and/or St Mungo in the 5th century. At one time it appears to have been an abbey. The church was united with the United Presbyterian Church in 1931, both buildings still being used until the sale of the United Presbyterian building. This church became known as Abbey Parish Church, while the United Presbyterian church was called West Church of Scotland. They later became known as West and East Church, respectively. It was in the last 20 or 30 years that this church finally became Cumbrae Parish Church.
Christianity on the Isle of Cumbrae can be traced back to the 5th Century. Over the years many changes took place with a growth in variety and styles of worship followed by a series of unions and new buildings. Among these was the demolishing of the Parish Church at Kirkton and the erection of the present building in Bute Terrace which used much of the material which became available. The final union took place in 1972 when the Millport East Church joined with Cumbrae Parish Church to form the sole presence of the Church of Scotland on the island.
The former Millport East church was put up for sale in 2015.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)