"Kamesburgh or Port Bannatyne, a village in North Bute parish, Buteshire, on Kames Bay, 2½ miles NNW of Rothesay, with which it was connected by a tramway in 1882. Curving round the southern shore of the bay, and containing some good houses, let for summer quarters, it presents a clean and tidy aspect, and looks out upon the beauty of the E end of Kyles of Bute. It maintains a herring fishery; communicates with steamers plying between Rothesay and places within or beyond the Kyles; and has a post and telegraph office (Port Bannatyne) under Rothesay, a quay and a steamboat pier, an excellent hotel, a hydropathic establishment, and North Bute Free church (1843). Pop. (186l) 504, (1871) 575, (1881) 651.—Ord. Sur., sh. 29, 1873."
Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4
"KAMESBURGH, village on Kaimes Bay, Bute Island. It is a pleasant small watering-place, and has a post office under Rothesay, a hotel, and a Free church. Pop. 632."
From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.