National Gazetteer, 1868
Kingarth - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KINGARTH, a parish in the southern extremity of the island and county of Bute, Scotland. It comprehends the post-office station of Kingarth, the villages of Piperhall and Kerrycory, and the post-office village of Kilchattan. It is 7 miles long by 2 broad, and though in appearance flat, has a gradual ascent from the coast to the middle of the island. The soil of the cultivated land is light and sandy but fertile. In the interior are two mountains, Blane's Hill and Suidhe-Chatain, or "Seat of Catan," the former 486 and the latter 520 feet above sea-level. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunoon and synod of Argyle. The minister's stipend is £297. The parish church is a modern and commodious structure. Here is a Free church. Ascoy and the seat of the Marquis of Bute are the only mansions, but there are several villas in the neighbourhood. The herring fishery is carried on with success, and game is plentiful. There are remains of a Druidical circle and of a vitrified fort. The Marquis of Bute is the chief landowner, and takes the title of baron from this place. His seat is Mount Stuart, situated on the firth of Clyde."
"ASCOG, a district in the parish of Kingarth, in the Isle of Bute, Scotland, about 1½ mile from Rothesay. It has a church and a post office."
"KELSPOKE, a village in the parish of Kingarth, county Bute, Scotland, 6 miles S. of Rothsay. In the vicinity is Kelspoke Castle."
"KERRYCROY, a village in the parish of Kingarth, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 3 miles S.E. of Rothsay."
"KILCHATTAN, a post-office village standing on the bay of its name in the parish of Kingarth, county Bute, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Rothesay. The bay opens out opposite the Great Cumbrae, and has anchorage varying from 11 to 16 fathoms in depth."
"PIPERHALL, a hamlet in the parish of Kingarth, county Bute, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Rothesay."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)