Scotland - Biography
- A Biographical Dictionary of Dark Age Britain: England, Scotland and Wales from c.500-c.1050 Ann Williams, Alfred Smyth, David Kirby : (June, 1991). Lists the people of note and influence in Britain between 500 AD to 1050 AD. It begins with the period of settlement of Britain in 600 AD and continues to give an account of successive battles and invasions in Britain.
- A Biographical Dictionary of Eminent Scotsmen Robert Chambers : first published in 1835 at London.
- Chambers Scottish Biographical Dictionary, edited by Rosemary Goring, and published at Edinburgh by Chambers in 1992 (468 pages)
- Dictionary of National Biography, published since 1885 and also on CD-ROM. The latest edition, the Oxford DNB published 2004 is available online. Searches are free, detail biographies can be obtained by paying, but many libraries have subscriptions which can often be used by library card holders from their home computers.
- The Scottish Nation: or the surnames, families, literature, honours and biographical history of the people of Scotland by William Anderson, published in 3 volumes between 1866 and 1877.