"ALLOA, a parish, containing a town of the same name, also the villages of Cambus, Collyland, Tullibody, and Holton Square, and comprising the two ancient parishes of Alloa and Tullibody, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded on the north and west by the river Devon; on the south by the river Forth; and on the east by the parishes of Tillicoultry and Clackmannan. Its average length from east to west is about 4 miles; but its extent of bank along the winding Forth, here slowly beginning to expand into firth, is about 5½ miles; and its breadth from north to south is about 2 miles."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire".
|St John, the Evangelist, Alloa, Scottish Episcopal|
|Alloa Ludgate Church (formerly West Church), Alloa, Church of Scotland|
|St Mungo's Parish Church, Alloa, Church of Scotland|
|St Serf, Tullibody, Church of Scotland|
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1609. These are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Alloa to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Alloa has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS879933 (Lat/Lon: 56.119096, -3.805167), Alloa which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)