"DOLLAR, a parish, containing a small post-town of its own name, in Clackmannanshire. It is bounded by the parishes of Glendevon, Muckhart, Fossaway, Clackmannan and Tillicoultry. Its length from north to south is about 3 miles; and its greatest breadth is about 1¼ mile. Its general aspect is that of a beautiful plain or valley, having the Ochils for its northern boundary, and a gently rising ground confining it on the south. The river Devon runs through it in a meandering course from east to west. The central part of the parish, in which the town is situated, forms a somewhat large and slightly sloping plain with a southern exposure, and beautifully interspersed with hamlets, farm-houses, and enclosures."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Pre-1855 inscriptions for the parish are contained in the Scottish Genealogy Society's volume of "Monumental Inscriptions in Clackmannanshire".
The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1700. These are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.
(Monumental Inscriptions - see Cemeteries)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dollar to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dollar has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS954984 (Lat/Lon: 56.166865, -3.685485), Dollar which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)