"CUMMERTREES, a parish in the district of Annandale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland. It contains a village of its own name, and also the villages of Powfoot and Kelhead. It is bounded on the S. by the Solway Firth, and on the other sides by the parishes of Annan, Hoddam, St. Mungo, Dalton, and Ruthwell. It extends near 5 miles in length from E. to W., with a breadth of 4½ miles. The surface is for the most part flat, but the soil, as regards fertility and the labour necessary to be bestowed on it, is very various. The coast is flat, the only feature being Queensberry Bay, which affords shelter for small vessels during N.W. winds. Fish of various sorts are sometimes taken in large quantities, and the vast expanse of sand, stretching 7 miles across the Firth to Cumberland, presents a grand sight when the advancing tide rushes along with a roaring sound and with elevated crest, to reassert its dominion over the shallow Firth. There is a mineral spring at Cummertrees Mill, and the climate, though moist, is very salubrious. Limestone and sandstone are abundant and are quarried. The greater part of the parish belongs to the Marquis of Queensberry, who has a beautiful seat called Kinmount. There is a station on the Glasgow and South-Western railway, which traverses the parish. The village of Cummertrees, remarkable for its beauty, is situated about 4 miles W. of Annan. Hoddam Castle is situated near the river Annan, at the northern boundary of the parish. It is remarkable for the thickness of its walls; and was built by the powerful family of Herries in the 15th century, and commands a beautiful view. A short distance to the S. of Hoddam Castle, on a hill which is the highest ground in the parish, is the Tower of Repentance. This building is square, 25 feet in height, and commands a view of 30 miles radius. Watch-fires anciently burned upon its summit, to give warning of invasion from England. This parish is in the presbytery of Annan and synod of Dumfries, in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £158, with 24 (Scotch) acres of glebe. There are three schools."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Cummertrees from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cummertrees to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cummertrees has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY144692 (Lat/Lon: 55.009875, -3.33983), Cummertrees which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)