"KIRKMICHAEL, a parish in county Dumfries, Scotland, 8 miles N. of Dumfries, its post town. It comprises the ancient parish of Kirkmichael, and a part of the ancient parish of Garvald. The length of the parish is 9 miles, and its breadth is 4½. About one half of the whole area is hilly sheep-walk, one-third arable, and the rest plantation. There are two mountain ranges, rising in some places to 1,000 and 1,500 feet above sea-level. The parish is watered by the river Ae, the Kinnel Water, and the Garvald and Glenkiln burns. It is in the presbytery of Lochmaben and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £246. The church was erected in 1815. Many remains of ancient fortifications and Roman roads are visible in this district. There is a small fort on an eminence in the Knockwood, known as Wallace's House, near which are stones marking the spot where that hero killed six Englishmen. Kirkmichael House is the chief seat in the neighbourhood. More than half the parish belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kirkmichael from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkmichael to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkmichael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY029914 (Lat/Lon: 55.206942, -3.527315), Kirkmichael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)