“Ardincaple, a stately mansion in Row parish, Dumbartonshire, on the N side of Gareloch amid fine lawns, grand old woods, and swelling ridges, immediately W of Helensburgh. It is in true old Scottish Baronial style, chiefly somewhat modern, but partly very ancient, perhaps as old as the first half of the 12th century; and it was long, from time to time, the residence of the Dowager Duchesses of Argyll, but is now a seat of Sir James Colquhoun of Luss, Bart.”
Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ardincaple to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ardincaple has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS282829 (Lat/Lon: 56.00854, -4.757075), Ardincaple which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)