"BALLOCH, village on Leven river, near the foot of Loch Lomond, 4½ miles north of Dumbarton. It adjoins the junction of Vale of Leven and Forth and Clyde Railways; communicates by a railway of about 7 furlongs with a steamboat pier on Loch Lomond; and has a railway station, an excellent hotel, and a fine suspension bridge. Pop. 159. Balloch Castle, in its vicinity, is a modern seat; and a previous Balloch Castle, now extinct, was a fortified seat of the Earls of Lennox."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Balloch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Balloch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS388821 (Lat/Lon: 56.004974, -4.586953), Balloch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)