"BALLOCH, village on Leven river, near the foot of Loch Lomond, 4½ miles north of Dumbarton. It adjoins the junction of Vale of Leven and Forth and Clyde Railways; communicates by a railway of about 7 furlongs with a steamboat pier on Loch Lomond; and has a railway station, an excellent hotel, and a fine suspension bridge. Pop. 159. Balloch Castle, in its vicinity, is a modern seat; and a previous Balloch Castle, now extinct, was a fortified seat of the Earls of Lennox."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]