"BOWLING or BOWLING BAY, village on the Clyde, at exit of Forth and Clyde Canal, 3½ miles east-south-east of Dumbarton. It has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Glasgow, a railway station, a hotel, wharves, a shipbuilding yard, and a public school with about 121 scholars. Pop. 687."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]