"KILCREGGAN, town on south coast of Roseneath peninsula, Dumbartonshire. It stands opposite Gourock, 3½ miles north-west of Greenock; took its name from an ancient chapel long since extinct; has nearly all been built since 1840; is a much esteemed summer resort and watering-place; consists chiefly of villas and ornate cottages on a stripe of coast upwards of a mile long; has a post office with all departments, designated of Dumbartonshire, a steamboat pier, Established, Free, and United Presbyterian churches, and a public school with about 137 scholars; was designed in 1880 to have waterworks; and, together with Craigrownie and Cove, curving round to Loch Long, forms a police burgh. The population of the burgh at census of 1881 was 816; but in the summer months was probably five times more."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]