"ROSENEATH, village and peninsulated parish in extreme west of Dumbartonshire. ... The parish contains also Kilcreggan, Craigrownie, Cove, Couplort, Clynder, and Rahane villages, and part of Garelochhead. Its length is about 7 miles; its greatest breadth 3¾ miles; its area 8461 acres. ... Pop., quoad civilia, 1994; quoad sacra, 1901. The eastern boundary is all Gare Loch down to its mouth at Roseneath point; the southern boundary is Firth of Clyde from that westward to Craigrownie; the western boundary is Loch Long from its mouth up to vicinity of Loch Goil; and the northern boundary is an isthmus of about a mile from Loch Long eastward to head of Gare Loch. The coast is variously sandy, sloping, and rocky; exhibits, over much of its aggregate, a fine display of handsome villages, villas, and ornate cottages; and includes, on the lower part of Gare Loch, the singularly good anchoring-place of Campsaile Bay. The southern part of the interior is a mixture of slope, swell, and dingle, contains Roseneath Castle, and has much embellishment; the middle and northern parts are chiefly a hill-ridge, culminating at 530 feet above sea-level, and commanding exquisite views; and the whole belonged, till the latter part of 15th century, to the Earls of Lennox, and passed then to the noble family of Argyle. Roseneath Castle, a seat of the Duke of Argyle, stands near the site of an ancient fortalice refitted as a noble residence in 1630, and destroyed by accidental fire in 1802; and it was erected in 1803-6, is in a mixed style of Gothic, Roman, and Italian, and has ornate offices and splendid grounds. The ancient fortalice is said to have been captured by Sir William Wallace; and a tract adjacent to it figures strongly, but quite out of character with its true topography, in Sir Walter Scott's Heart of Midlothian. The churches are 4 Established, 2 Free, and 2 United Presbyterian; and there are 3 public schools with about 317 scholars."...
"... The village stands on Gare Loch, opposite Row Point, 3¼ miles west-north-west of Helensburgh, is a small charming watering-place, includes some handsome villas and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments, under Helensburgh, a steamboat pier, Established and Free churches, and a public school with about 82 scholars."
[From The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882.]
Records in the old parish registers (OPRs) for Rosneath parish span the following years:
Births or Baptisms ~ 1722-1854
Marriages or Banns ~ 1722-1854
Deaths or Burials ~ no records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rosneath to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rosneath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NS243861 (Lat/Lon: 56.035293, -4.822344), Rosneath which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)