"PRESTONPANS, a small parish on the west coast of Haddingtonshire. It contains the post-town of Prestonpans, the villages of Dolphinston and Preston, and the harbour of Morison's haven. It is bounded by Edinburghshire, the frith of Forth, and the parish of Tranent ... Population in 1831, 2,322; in 1861, 2,080." "The TOWN of PRESTONPANS is a burgh of barony. It stands along the shore of the frith of Forth, on the Edinburgh and North Berwick road, 2 1/2 miles east of Musselburgh, 9 east of Edinburgh, 9 3/4 west of Haddington, and 14 south-west of North Berwick. It is supposed to have become a seat of population for the manufacturing of salt, so early as the 12th century. The monks of Newbattle, who pushed out their trading enterprises in all directions from their property of Preston-grange, appear to have adopted and cherished Prestonpans as the scene of their salt-making operations." From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.