"TYNNINGHAME, an ancient parish, containing a post-office village of its own name, on the coast of Haddingtonshire. It now forms the southern district of the united parish of Whitekirk and Tynninghame. The name is the ham, the ing, and the Tyne, of the Anglo-Saxon, collocated in reversed order, and meaning the hamlet of the meadow of the Tyne; and it graphically describes the position of the village, 300 yards from the northern margin of the Tyne, on a beautiful piece of ground which gently slopes to the river's edge. The original church was founded so early as the 6th century by the celebrated St Baldred, the Culdee apostle of East Lothian; and was one of the three which, in a subsequent age of superstition, contested the honour of possessing his mortal remains." [From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.
See "An Old Kirk Chronicle: a history of Auldhame, Tyninghame, and Whitekirk in East Lothian" by Rev. P. Hately Waddell, published at Edinburgh in 1893.
The Scottish Genealogy Society holds a list of pre-1855 gravestones in this parish (12 in total) in its library in Edinburgh. Similar lists may be available elsewhere, for example in the East Lothian District Library's Local History Centre at Newton Port in Haddington.
See the Bibliography section.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1695. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the Scottish Record Office as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
An earlier record of some of the baptisms, marriages and burials in the parish may be found in the Kirk Session records of the parish which are held in the Scottish Record Office in Edinburgh.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For details of these and other records held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh, see the GRO tutorial.
Extracts for this parish from the 1868 National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland are available.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tynninghame to another place.
See the Bibliography section.
This map shows the location of the parish in the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT616792 (Lat/Lon: 56.004449, -2.616677), Tynninghame which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
According to Dr Webster's return of 1755, the population of Tynninghame then was 599. For populations in later years, see the Whitekirk parish page for total counts covering the joint parishes.
For a social and economic record of the parishes of East Lothian together with considerable statistical material, see Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland, which was compiled in the 1790s. Follow-up works to this were the New Statistical Account (also known as the Second Statistical Account) which was prepared in the 1830s and 1840s; and more recently the Third Statistical Account which has been prepared since the Second World War.
Thanks to a joint venture between the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh the First and Second Statistical Accounts can now be accessed on-line at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-1799 and 1845.