1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)
"TYNNINGHAME, a parish, county Haddington, Scotland, 2 miles N.E. of Linton, and 5¼ N.W. of Dunbar. The village, which is old, is situated on the river Tyne, near Whiberry Head, and is celebrated for its richly wooded grounds, planted in the commencement of the 18th century by the Earl of Haddington. The principal seat is Tynningham House. There are still some ruins of the old church built on the site of St. Baldrid's church, founded in the 6th century, which belonged to the Bishop of St. Andrew's, and had the privilege of a sanctuary. Tynningham Flats is a sandbank at the river's mouth."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]