"WHITEKIRK, a parish on the coast of Haddingtonshire. It contains the village of Whitekirk and the post-office village of Tynninghame. It is bounded on the north by North-Berwick; on the east by the German ocean; on the south by the estuary of the Tyne, and by Dunbar; and on the west by Prestonkirk. Its length from north to south is 5 1/4 miles; and its greatest breadth is 4 1/2 miles ... The present parish comprehends the ancient parishes of Tynninghame, Aldham, and Hamer, or Whitekirk. Aldham - popularly but corruptedly Adam - lay on the north, and included the lands of Aldham and of Scougal. Some desolated vestiges of this hamlet are still traceable on the coast, a short distance east of Tantallan-castle. The original church was probably founded by St Baldred, and in consequence, dated back to the 6th century; and the last church in use was demolished in 1770, yet may still be partially traced in the out-houses of a farm-yard adjacent to the vestiges of the hamlet. At Scougal, about a mile to the south-east, and overlooking the sea, anciently stood a chapel, whose ruins are still extant.- Whitekirk had the ancient name of Hamer, or the greater ham, from its contradistinction to Ald-ham; and its modern name of Whitekirk, from the whiteness of its church ... Aldham was united to Whitekirk in the 17th century, and Tynninghame in 1761."
[From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868]
A lengthier description is available.