"CROY, a parish in the district of East Inverness, in the counties of Inverness and Nairn, Scotland. It comprises the ancient parishes of Croy and Dalcross, which were united in the end of the 15th century. It is 21 miles in length, with a breadth in some parts of 9 miles. That part of the parish included in Strath Nairn, and through which the Nairn flows, is of great beauty: the rest, including Culloden Moor, is comparatively bleak and naked. The principal seats are those of Kilravock, Holme, Cantray, and Leys Castle. Dalcross Castle, now in ruins, was built in 1621 by Lord Lovat, and commands a very extensive view, stretching from the hill of Mealfourvounie to the Ord of Caithness. In a wild district called Clava, S. of the parish church, there are many cairns and druidical circles, of which last there is a very perfect example near Leys Castle. The parish is in the presbytery of Nairn and synod of Moray; patrons, the Earl of Cawdor, and Rose of Kilravock. The stipend of the minister is £239. There is also a Free Church station."
"DALCROSS, (or Dalus), a parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Inverness. It is joined to Croy. Dalcross Castle is an ancient tower of the clan Chattan, near Culloden Alcor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Croy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Croy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NH771456 (Lat/Lon: 57.483727, -4.050782), Croy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)