"DUIRINISH, (or Durinish), a parish in the isle of Skye, in the county of Inverness, Scotland. It is bounded on the N.W. by the sea, and on the E. or landward side, by the parishes of Snizort and Bracadale. It is 19 miles in length, with a breadth of 16 miles. The coast line is so intersected with arms of the sea that it measures 80 miles, irrespective of islets. There are many high headlands. The peninsula of Vaternish, in the N. of the parish, constitutes the quoad sacra parish of Halen. The greater and lesser Hallivails are the only considerable mountains. The soil of the arable lands although stony is for the most part fertile. Macleod of Macleod divides the parish with 8 other proprietors. The mansions are Dunvegan Castle, Vaternish, Orbost, and Grieshernish. This parish is in the presbytery of Skye and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of Macleod of Macleod. The minister has a stipend of £158. There is a government church at Vaternish, and a Free church for Duirinish. An annual fair for black cattle is held at Fairy-Bridge, 3 miles from Dunvegan."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|Arnisort, Church of Scotland|
|Duirinish Parish Church, Dunvegan, Church of Scotland|
|Waternish Parish Church, Hallin, Church of Scotland|
|Duirinish, Church of Scotland|
- The transcription of the section for Duirinish from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Duirinish to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Duirinish has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NG260514 (Lat/Lon: 57.470199, -6.572529), Duirinish which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)