"SOUTH UIST, a parish in county Inverness, Scotland. It extends in length about 22 miles from N.N.W. to S.S.E., with an extreme breadth of about 7¾ miles, and is bounded on the N. by a strait which separates it from Benbecula, on the E. by the Little Minch, on the S. by a sound of from 5 to 8½ miles in breadth, and on the W. by the Atlantic Ocean. The surface is flat towards the W., and boggy in the centre, with hilly pasture in the E. The highest summit is Mount Hecla, which rises nearly 3,000 feet above sea-level, and is the place where Charles Edward, the Pretender, was secreted in 1746. The island contains a considerable number of lakes and islets. There is an abundance of fish and game. The parish of South Uist is about 7 miles S. of North Uist, and comprises the islands of Benbecula, Eriskay, and Flodda. In the vicinity are ruins of Danish forts and Druidical circles. This parish is in the presbytery of Uist and synod of Glenelg, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £281. The parish church was erected in 1838. There are also two mission churches, named Boisdale and Eriska, two Free church preaching stations, besides other places of worship. There are a parochial school and several other schools."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
|Ardmichael Cemetery, Daliburgh|
|Boisdale Cemetery, South Uist|
|Hallan Cemetery, Daliburgh|
|Howmore Old Churchyard, South Uist|
|Linique Burial Ground, South Uist|
|Nunton Cemetery, South Uist|
|Howmore, South Uist, Church of Scotland|
|Lochboisdale Church, South Uist, Free Church of Scotland|
- The transcription of the section for South Uist from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Uist to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Uist has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NF807337 (Lat/Lon: 57.281712, -7.300074), South Uist which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)