National Gazetteer, 1868
Benholm - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BENHOLM, a parish in the county of Kincardine, Scotland, 2 miles from Bervicarage It is situated on the seacoast, and contains the town of Johnshaven. The soil is fertile, and the surface is partly hilly. Fishing and the manufacture of sail-cloth employ many of the inhabitants. Limestone is quarried in the neighbourhood. The living, of the value of £232, is in the presbytery of Fordun, in the patronage of Scott of Benholm, and Scott of Brotherston. There is also a Free church, and an United Presbyterian church at Johnshaven."
"JOHNSHAVEN, a village and small port in the parish of Benholm, county Kincardine, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Bervie. It is situated on a bay bearing its name, and has a small harbour. It is a coastguard station. Here is a Presbyterian church. The inhabitants are principally employed in the fishery and in linen weaving."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003