"Extent and Boundaries - The parish of Fettercairn forms the extreme western division of Kincardineshire, on the south side of the Grampians. Its length, from south to north, is 8 miles, and its greatest breadth, from east to west, 4½. It contains about 13,192 imperial acres, or about 20 square miles of surface. It is bounded on the north and north-east, by the parish of Fordoun; on the east and south-east, by the parish of Marykirk; on the south and south-west, by part of the parish of Marykirk, and the river North Esk; and on the west and north-west, by part of the parish of Edzell and the Grampian mountains, which separate it from the parish of Strachan, in that direction."
The Statistical Account of Scotland The County of Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Fettercairn from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fettercairn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fettercairn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO631728 (Lat/Lon: 56.845255, -2.605988), Fettercairn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)