"Boundaries - The parish of Fordoun is of a quadrangular form, and is bounded on the south-west, by Fettercairn; on the south and south-east, by the parishes of Marykirk, Laurencekirk, and Arbuthnott; on the north-east, by Glenbervie; and on the north-west, by Strachan, which it joins on the summit of the Grampians. The parish extends along the south side of the Grampians, and on the north side of the valley of Strathmore, or rather of that division of it familiarly known by the name of the 'How o' the Mearns', which comprehends the parishes of Fettercairn, Marykirk, Laurencekirk, and Fordoun."
The Statistical Account of Scotland The County of Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions for the parish have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
|Fordoun Parish Church, Fordoun, Church of Scotland|
|Fordoun Free Church, Fordoun, Free Church|
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for Fordoun from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fordoun to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fordoun has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO706790 (Lat/Lon: 56.9012, -2.484639), Fordoun which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)