"The parish lies at the extreme southern angle of the Mearns, and is separated on the south-west side from the parishes of Montrose and Logiepert by the river North Esk, which here also marks the confines of the counties of Angus and Mearns. On the north-west, north, and north-east, it is bounded by the parishes of Marykirk, Garvock, and Benholme, and on the south-east, by the German Ocean. Its length, in a direction parallel to the general line of the sea-coast, from the North-water bridge to the hill of Bridgeton, is about 5 miles; its breadth at the former place, about 3¼; at the latter, about 2 1/2; and its area, about 14 square miles. Its figure is nearly that of a parallelogram."
The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol XI Forfar-Kincardine
Monumental Inscriptions of the Upper Kirk and of the Nether Kirk have been recorded in Pre-1855 Gravestone Inscriptions in Kincardineshire, edited by Alison Mitchell, Scottish Genealogy Society, 1986, ISBN 0 901061 29 8.
All records of Civil Registration are held at New Register House, Edinburgh. Microfilm copies of births, deaths and marriages for the years 1855 - 1875, 1881 and 1891 have been filmed by the LDS and can be ordered to any family history centre worldwide. Please check film numbers before ordering.
- The transcription of the section for St Cyrus from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Cyrus to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Cyrus has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO741654 (Lat/Lon: 56.779315, -2.425423), St Cyrus which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)