"KIRKCHRIST, an ancient parish now united with Twynholm, in county Kirkcudbright, Scotland. The village was situated near the river Dee, and opposite the town of Kirkcudbright, where are the ruins of a church with a cemetery, the latter being still used. A nunnery was founded here in ancient times."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkchrist to another place.
Kirkchrist included in Twynholm from the 17th Century. [Rev. John Gordon, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood ].
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkchrist has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX675517 (Lat/Lon: 54.842346, -4.064995), Kirkchrist which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)