"The appearance of the parish is varied and singularly beautiful. The lowest or eastern extremity is nearly level, and in a state of the highest cultivation. The centre consists of two or more undulations of hills, being part of a range which stretches across the stewartry from north to south. There knolls and heights are finely wooded....
The cattle are chiefly of the Galloway breed, which are considered to be the best suited to the soil and climate.....
Horses are reared here in considerable numbers. The best are the Clydesdale; and, as a good deal of attention has been paid of late to this sort of stock, the breed is rapidly improving. Pigs are a staple commodity in this quarter....
It extends 9 miles in length, by from 1 to 4 in breadth. It is bounded on the east by Terregles; on the north, by the Cluden, which separates it from Holywood; on the west and southwest, by Kirkpatrick Durham and Urr; and on the south, by Lochrutton and Terregles.
There is no market town in the parish; the nearest is Dumfries which is within three miles of the lower end...."
Rev. J. Wilson, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.
The Church Yard of Irongray has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Irongray is in volume 7. Refer to the county page for additional details.
"The church is located on the northern side of the parish, close to Cluden, within two miles of the lower or eastern extremity, and consequently is distant from the upper or western about seven miles...."
Rev. John Crocket, Minister, February 1844, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
|Church of Scotland||1757-1854||1772-1773||none||OPR 867|
- The transcription of the section for Kirkpatrick Irongray from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirkpatrick Irongray to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirkpatrick Irongray has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX879775 (Lat/Lon: 55.078798, -3.758168), Kirkpatrick Irongray which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)