"...The general character of the parish, in point of surface, is very uneven, though there is no hill of considerable height, with the exception of Mochrum Fell, towards the northern part of the parish. There is a hill further west, called "Cruckie Height" which affords an extensive and interesting view of the vale of Ken and Dee....
Castle Douglas is the nearest market town, and is six or seven miles distant. It affords an excellent market, both for grain and cattle...
Dalbeattie and Palnackie are the nearest ports, and are at a distance of about twelve miles. Almost the whole of the lime, and a portion of the coals used in the parish are brought from these ports....
...It is bounded on the north by Balmaclellan; on the east by Kirkpatrick Durham, from which it is separated by the small river of Urr; on the south by Crossmichael; on the south-west by Balmaghie, from which it is separated by the Dee; on the north-west by Kells, from which it is separated by the Ken, a river that is in some places about a half mile broad...."
Rev. W.G. Crosbie, Minister, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
History, Kirkcudbright. The New Statistical Account of Scotland, 2nd Series, W Blackwood, 1845.
The Church Yard of Parton has had pre-1855 monumental inscriptions transcribed and indexed. The index and transcribed inscriptions are included in a series of volumes that cover all of Kirkcudbrightshire. Parton is in volume 5. Refer to the county page for additional details.
"The church is situated like most in the neighbourhood, on the banks of the Dee, and is therefore put at the extremity of the parish...
A considerable effort was made by a portion of the heritors to have it removed to the interior, at the period of its being rebuilt in 1834, but, as heritors holding more than one-fourth of the valuation opposed it, the proposal was abandoned. A chapel on the banks of the Urr was subsequently built...."
Rev. W.G. Crosbie, New Statistical Account, Blackwood.
Church of Scotland records are held at the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Copies of the pairsh register on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Refer to the county page for additional details.
|Church of Scotland||1714-1855||1714-1783, 1833-1854||1744-1783||878|
Kirk Session Notes: The Kirk Session records for the parish start in 1692. Refer to the county page for additional details.
- The transcription of the section for Parton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Parton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Parton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NX709726 (Lat/Lon: 55.03147, -4.02154), Parton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)