"KINROSS, a parish, containing a post-town of the same name, in Kinross-shire. It is bounded by Orwell, Portmoak, Cleish, and Fossoway. Its length eastward is a little less than 4 miles; and its breadth is about 3 miles. Loch-Leven flanks most of its east side, separating it from Portmoak; and three streams, the North Quiech, the South Quiech, and the Gairney, drain it eastward to that lake ..."

"The town of Kinross is pleasantly situated at the west end of Loch-Leven, on the road from Edinburgh to Perth, 13 miles north by east of Inverkeithing, 16 south by east of Perth, 19 south-west of Cupar, 23 east-north-east of Stirling, and 27 north-north-west of Edinburgh. It was formerly a very mean place; but it has in recent times been much improved. The streets present a fair appearance, and are lighted with gas; and a large proportion of the private houses are new or modern, and in good style."

From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.

"KINROSS, a parish and market town in county Kinross, Scotland, 27 miles N. of Edinburgh and 17 S. of Perth. It is situated on the W. side of Loch Leven, which separates it from Portmoak. It is bounded by the parishes of Cleish, Orwell, Portmoak, and Fossoway. Its size is 4 miles by 3½ and its area is about 5,600 acres, the greater proportion of which is arable land. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunfermline and synod of Fife. The minister's stipend is £200. The parish church, built in 1832, is a Gothic structure. There is a Free church, also two United Presbyterian churches. There are several schools, in the neighbourhood for both sexes. Here formerly stood a castle of great strength, which was long the residence of the earls of Morton. It was removed about a century ago, and its site is now occupied by Kinross House, a structure designed and built by Sir William Bruce, the architect. The parish is drained- by the Garney and the North and South Queich, which flow into Loch Leven. This sheet of water is 10 miles in circumference, and has a trout fishery which lets for nearly £200 per annum. In the loch are four islands. [See Loch Leven.] The town of Kinross is of considerable antiquity and is the capital of the county. It occupies a site at one end of the open vale to which it gives name, a little to the N.W. of Loch Leven. It is a railway station on the Edinburgh, Frith, and Dundee line. Its streets, which formerly consisted of narrow lanes, have been greatly improved, and the town now contains many handsome houses, erected particularly in the line of the great N. road, which forms the main street. It contains the county sessions-house, townhall, two large inns, two branch banks in connection with the British Linen Company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow banks, and several insurance agencies, also subscription libraries and benevolent societies. The government of the town is vested in the hands of a committee of the inhabitants, who are elected annually. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture of woollen goods and in cotton weaving. At one period the produce of the town was cutlery and brown linen, but those branches of industry have now become almost extinct. The courts of the sheriffs sit here every Tuesday during session, and justices of peace courts are held monthly. Market day is Wednesday, principally for corn. Fairs are held en the third Wednesday in March, the 1st June, the third Wednesday of July, and on the 18th October (old style)."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Map of Kinross from 1823 showing surnames of owners of properties.

More general information about Kinross including some of its more illustrious children can be found at The Edinburgh University Gazetteer.

You can see some photographs of Kinross from the past here.




Church Records

The parish church (Established Church of Scotland) has records dating from 1676. The present building dates from 1832. The records are held at the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family History Centres around the world.

Record references;

  • 462 Kinross (1) - Births 1676-1689
  • 462 Kinross (1) - Marriages 1676-1819
  • 462 Kinross (1) - Deaths 1684-1810
  • 462 Kinross (2) - Births 1699-1783
  • 462 Kinross (3) - Births 1783-1819
  • 462 Kinross (4) - Marriages 1668-1683
  • 462 Kinross (4) - Deaths 1671
  • 462 Kinross (5) - Births and marriages 1820-1854
  • 462 Kinross (5) - Deaths 1823-1853
  • Missing Records - Births 1689-1699
  • Missing Records - Marriages 1680-1683 and 1689-1699
  • Missing Records - Deaths 1671-1684, 1685-1733, 1735-1783 and 1787-1823

Other Church References for Kinross include at the National Records of Scotland ;

  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Kirk Session minutes 1699-1902"
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Accounts 1749-1877
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Proclamations 1751-1753 and 1855-1876
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Deficients in Payment of Mortcloth 1683
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Visitaion Roll 1841
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Roll of Male Heads of Families 1834-1842
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Certificates 1833-1872
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 487 Kinross" Legacy Disbursements 1847-1875
  • Church Records - Ref "CH2 Church of Scotland, 194 Kinross Presbytery"

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Kinross which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Kinross has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO118009 (Lat/Lon: 56.192555, -3.422134), Kinross which are provided by: