The Parish Church of Bothwell
Quire built 1398 by Archibald the Grim, 3rd Earl of Douglas, added to previous Norman structure. Oldest collegiate church still in use in Scotland. Alterations 1719, 1833 (Nave rebuilt), 1898 (quire restored), 1933 (two parts of building united on one level). Originally dedicated to St Bride, then to St Mary, reverted to St Bride 1929, retained name until amalgamation of two village congregations - Bothwell Parish Church (1978).
Monument in foreground to Joanna Baillie, born 1762, daughter of the manse. Niece of Hunter brothers of East Kilbride, surgeons - monument to them just visible behind flowerbed. Later a well-known literary figure, died 1851, Hampstead.
Monument erected 1899, contains mosaics by Murano.