Carmunnock, Church of Scotland
Church of Scotland,
Clarkston, Glasgow G76
Carmunnock Parish Church is also known as The Kirk in the Braes. Rebuilt 1767 on pre-Reformation site and repaired in 1840, the church features external stone staircases to three galleries, including Lairds gallery. The stained glass is by Norman Macleod MacDougall. There is also ancient graveyard that has a watch-house with original instructions for grave watchers (1828), and the burial vault of Stirling-Stuart family, Lairds of Castlemilk.
The original church was built on the same site about 800 years ago and even before that there was a tiny settlement in this place which came under the jurisdiction of Paisley Abbey. Carmunnock Church is in the village of Carmunnock, about twenty minutes from the centre of Glasgow and well served by public transport.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)