"CARSTAIRS, par. and vil., E. Lanarkshire -- par., 9820 ac., pop. 1955; vil., pop. 528; P.O.; the vil. is 1 mile NW. of C. Junc. Carstairs House is 1 mile SW. of C. Junc. Carstairs, anciently called Castleterres, signifying the castle or fort of 00092 LKS:, is supposed to have been the Roman Coria. From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887"