" par. and vil. with ry. sta. (Coulter), E. Lanarkshire and W. Peebles-shire - par., 11,883 ac., pop. 574; vil., wholly in Lanarkshire, 1½ mile SE. of the ry. sta. and 2½ miles SW. of Biggar; P.O., called Coulter; contains Culter Water, flowing 6½ miles NW. to the Clyde, Culter Fell, on the border of the two cos., alt. 2454 ft., and the seats of Culter Allers House and Culter Mains. "
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887