"... The parish of Gorbals consisted at first of a small district disjoined from
the neighbouring parish of Govan, and erected into a separate parish by
the Court of Teinds in 1771. To this district a much larger portion of
Govan, comprehending what is now the most populous portion of Gorbals,
was at a subsequent period annexed quoad sacra, by the Presbytery of Glasgow. The parish of Gorbals, thus constituted, was, in 1834, divided by
the Presbytery into two parishes of unequal size, the smaller of which was
attached as a parish quoad sacra, under the name of Kirkfield, to a Chapel of Ease within its bounds.
The parish churches of the United District may be divided into three
classes, of which the first includes those of the Inner-High, Barony, and
Gorbals. The churches of Barony and Gorbals were built, and are now
maintained by the respective heritors of their parishes quoad civilia, according to the law for the building and upholding of parish churches. The
church of the Inner-High, or original parish of Glasgow, is part of the
ancient cathedral, which belongs to the Crown, and is maintained at the
public expense. It appears, however, that the Corporation of Glasgow,
having been, at some period, at the expense of fitting it up with pews, have
ever since exacted a seat rent, according to rates fixed by themselves,
although their right to do so is doubted by some of the parishioners. The
ministers of the Inner-High and the Barony are endowed out of the teinds
of the parish of Glasgow ; and the minister of Gorbals receives, along with
a grant of L.100 per annum from Exchequer, a stipend from the heritors,
which they pay, not out of their teinds, (these being all liable to the minister of Govan, to which Gorbals originally belonged) but out of seat rents. ..."
Extract from "Second Report of the Commissioners of Religious Instruction, Scotland" : W. and A. K Johnston, 1837, Edinburgh.