" Lesmahagow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire - par., 41,299 ac., pop. 9949; vil. (also called Abbey Green), on river Nethan, 6 miles SW. of Lanark and 12 miles SE. of Hamilton, pop. 1386; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the parish church stands on the site of a 12th century priory; Lesmahagow is chiefly a mining parish, but large quantities of fruit are also grown."
From John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887