Strathaven, Church of Scotland
Church of Scotland
Avendale Old Parish Church,
59A Kirk St,
Records show a church in Strathaven in 1288. This church was built in 1772 and the interior renovated 1879. The centre section of the south gallery was reserved for the family and tenants of the Duke of Hamilton and is known as ‘The Duke’s Gallery’. Stained glass window of The Last Supper, Crear McCartney 1996.
Before Avendale was built on its present site in 1772, the people of Strathaven worshipped in St Mary’s Kirk which was situated in the graveyard facing Strathaven Castle.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)