Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis - 1851
MILLPORT, a village, in the island and parish of Great-Cumbray, county of Bute; containing 817 inhabitants. This is a modern village, pleasantly situated in the south-east corner of the island, and having a commodious harbour capable of admitting vessels of considerable burthen, the depth at low water being six feet, and at high water fourteen. The anchorage ground is of large extent, and finely sheltered by two small rocky islands, called the Allans, to which vessels resorting hither in stormy weather are moored, by means of iron rings fastened in the rocks, so as to ride in perfect safety. A fine pier was erected, chiefly by the late Marquess of Bute. Several vessels belong to the port, some of the burthen of forty tons; and it is regularly visited by the Clyde steamers from Glasgow. The village is thriving, and is a great summer resort for seabathing, having excellent accommodation for that purpose; it contains some good lodging-houses, and the dwellings in general are neat, and of cleanly appearance. The inhabitants are engaged in fishing, weaving, and other pursuits: there are about sixty looms, and plain and fancy work is executed in great variety for the Glasgow manufacturers. The parish church, which is situated here, was built in 1837, and is a handsome edifice, ornamented with a tower, and containing 750 sittings. Here are also the parochial school, another day school, and two Sunday schools; a small library, a friendly society, and one or two other useful institutions.