1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
ACKERGILL, a village, in the parish of Wick, and county of Caithness. It was anciently called Aikrigill, and lies on the shore of Sinclair bay, and on the road between Staxigo and Keiss. The lands were formerly a possession of the Keiths, earls-marischal, whose residence here was Ackergill Tower, a spacious rectangular structure, the walls of which, thirteen feet in thickness, and crowned with battlements, are eighty-two feet in height; it is in a state of entire preservation, and, from its antiquity, has an impressive aspect. See Wick.