1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
DUNBEATH, a hamlet, in the parish of Latheron, county of Caithness, 20 miles (S. W.) from Wick; containing 40 inhabitants. It is situated on the banks of the river Dunbeath, which here discharges itself into the North Sea; and is an excellent fishing-station. An ancient castle stands on a narrow neck of land, impending on one side over the sea, and on the other over a deep chasm into which the tide flows. Near the hamlet is an entire Picts' house, called the Bourg of Dunbeath.