1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
HUNA, a township, in the parish of Canisbay, county of Caithness, 19 miles (N.) from Wick; containing 111 inhabitants. This place is situated on the shore of the Pentland Firth. It consists, in its western part, from Huna Inn to Gill's bay, of one of the most fertile districts in the parish; and, eastward to Duncansbay burn, of moss, which prevails to the very brink of the sea. The parochial church stands on an eminence close by the shore, and the manse is built about a quarter of a mile, inland, from it: the tall white spire of the former is an excellent landmark at sea. Here is a post-office, from which the mail-boat with the Orkney bags crosses the Firth three times a week, the distance to the landingplace in Orkney being about twelve miles. Edwin, King of Scotland, fought an army of Orkneymen at Huna, and signally defeated them.