Hide

Louisburgh village

hide
Hide

1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis

LOUISBURGH, a village, in the parish of Wick, county of Caithness; adjoining the burgh of Wick, and containing 360 inhabitants. This village, which is situated on the north bank of the river Wick, was built on land leased for that purpose by the proprietor, and received its appellation in compliment to Lady Dunbar, whose Christian name was Louisa. It consists chiefly of cottages inhabited by persons employed in the fisheries.