Hide

Staxigo village

hide
Hide

1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis

STAXIGO, a village, in the parish of Wick, county of Caithness, 1 mile (N. E.) from the town of Wick: containing 230 inhabitants. This place is of considerable antiquity; and there are still remaining, in good preservation, two large storehouses built nearly three centuries since by the Earls of Caithness for the reception of their rents, at that time paid in kind: each is capable of containing 4000 bolls of grain. The village is situated at the head of the natural harbour from which it takes its name, and is inhabited chiefly by persons employed in the fishery, for whose boats the harbour affords every requisite accommodation.