Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis - 1851
LINGA-MUCKLE-AND-LITTLE, isles (two), in the parish of Stronsay, county of Shetland. These are small islands, one lying to the north-west of Stronsay; and the other, which is the larger, and sometimes called the Holm of Midgarth, situated in the channel of Linga sound. This channel has two entrances to its convenient harbour, severally northward and southward; and through the latter, which is the wider entrance, large vessels may pass, with the assistance of a pilot, and find safe anchorage in four fathoms of water. On Muckle Linga are the ruins of a chapel.