1851 - Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, Samuel Lewis
EALAN-NA-ROAN, an isle, in the parish of Tongue, county of Sutherland; containing 42 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies the " Island of Seals", is situated at the entrance to the Kyle of Tongue. It is about two miles in circumference, and is formed of a mixture of sand and a reddish kind of pebble, which appear as if baked together. The isle contains a large quantity of peat-moss, and has plenty of fresh water. Some years since, part of the land near the middle sank without any visible cause, occasioning a vast chasm. See Tongue.